09 May 2012

The profiler

On of my biggest projects and a source of small sub-projects is my little CNC milling machine: my Profiler.

It is a 3-axis CNC hobby milling machine, basically a Colinbus Profiler bought through Elektor.
I bought it as a kit, Building a machine from scratch would have been awesome but as I live in an apartment, I have no proper workshop and limited tool and materials assortment, so I opted for the more-expensive-but-easy-way.

Basic characteristics:
  • 300 x 400 x 100 mm effective travel
  • Guided by special ball bearings on steel round bars
  • 3 small stepper motors
  • Trapezoidal lead screws with special nylon nuts (no backlash)
  • Integrated electronics
  • MDF base table
  • All made out of aluminum and steel.


That's about how the Profiler looks like at the step "out-of-the-box + x" (in my case, x means a crapton of hours of assembly)

No comments:

Post a Comment